On March 7th, 2017 one of the North Carolina Zoo's giraffes died after becoming tangled in a "mental and physical engagement item." Jamili, the 9-year-old female, was found unresponsive Tuesday morning. The item was said to have been used many years without an incident. Keepers of the zoo try their best to provide the safest toys for their animals to play with. The toy Jamili got tangled in was a barrel and had many different uses as a puzzle feeder, noise maker, and rubbing surface. These animal toys are compared to kids toys. Everything that could be potentially dangerous is taken away, e.g. sharp edges, toxicity, swallowing hazards, etc ("NC Zoo giraffe dies in accident"). If that's the case, then why did Jamili die? I am interested in this issue because I love animals and it's a shame when something bad happens to them. Jamili has touched many people's hearts with her "easy going personality" and will surely be missed by the NC community. Even if you aren't an animal person, you should still want to do something about this because it is a life that has been lost and that matters to a lot of people. A way to help would be to donate money to the North Carolina Zoo so that they can buy new, assuredly safe, toys.
Click here to view the original story